Once a plan has been agreed upon, we will prepare your teeth by removing a small amount of your tooth’s enamel if necessary. Our dentists will then take a few molds of your teeth so that your
can be crafted in a skilled dental laboratory.
While the porcelain veneers are being worked on in the lab, you will receive a temporary set to wear in the meantime. When the wait is over, the permanent veneers will be cemented onto your teeth by our dentists for breathtaking results.
Versatility of Porcelain Veneers
The wonderful thing about porcelain veneers is that our dentists can use them to create a natural looking, beautiful new smile for you. Similar to tooth enamel, dental porcelain is tough and translucent, but does not stain like natural teeth.
In some cases, veneers can be made so thin that our dentists do not even need to remove a layer of tooth enamel. The veneers can be adhered directly to the existing tooth surface if possible.
Porcelain veneers can be used to improve the following:
- Color: Veneers are available in numerous shades to cover up any stains left over on your teeth from lifestyle habits or various foods and drinks.
- Size and Shape: Grinding can leave teeth worn down and not ideally shaped. Veneers can be shaped and sized in a way that best flatters your face.
- Alignment and Spacing: Slight corrections in alignment or small gaps between teeth can be improved upon with veneers.
Limitations of Porcelain Veneers
Though this cosmetic dentistry service can solve a fair amount of dental imperfections, some instances go beyond the scope of porcelain veneers.Instead, our dentists may recommend orthodontics or other types of oral restoration like dental crowns depending on your situation.
Porcelain veneers are not suitable if you have:
- Significantly misaligned teeth
- Large gaps in between teeth
- Lost a fair amount of tooth structure due to decay or trauma
Your porcelain veneers may not be natural tooth enamel but they should still be cared for with gentle brushing and flossing each day. Dental plaque will need to be removed regularly to ensure good gum tissue around the veneers.
It’s important that you do not use your teeth as tools or bite into very hard foods, like candy apples. Be sure to also see our Ann Arbor dentists every 6 months for a dental checkup so that we can monitor your oral health.
Let’s Get Started
Meet with our Contact us online to schedule an appointment or call Excel Dental today at (734) 929-9999.
, to plan out your dream smile.